Elegance is not about wearing pearls or having lots of money and fancy things. You can be an elegant home body or office worker. It’s a state of mind, a quality that can be possessed regardless of where you come from, financial status or career. Elegance usually results from what we let go of rather than what we do.
Here is a list of 12 things my podcast fave Tonya Leigh suggested were things that elegant people don’t do to increase joy, productivity and success:
- Don’t waste time on social media. Enjoy it but don’t spend hours scrolling. You could using that time better to learn something new, clean out the wardrobe, read, spending quality time with someone, working on a side hustle, or doing absolutely nothing.
- Don’t obsess over what everyone else is doing. Enjoy whatever you are doing not worrying about what everyone else is doing. Focus on your own life masterpiece.
- Don’t try to change other people’s behaviour. Focus on showing up as the best version of yourself, having boundaries around what to and not to accept. Allow people to be who they are. Take control over your own emotional life.
- Don’t worry about things they can’t control, like other people. It takes energy away in a different direction from supporting your best life. Focus your attention on what you do have control over.
- Don’t dwell on the past. The past doesn’t define you, learn and grow for the experience and define what you do and don’t want from life. Think about the future you want to create.
- Don’t flaunt money and material things. Don’t use belongings to try to show how fabulous you are. You are fabulous anyway, because of who you are, not what you possess.
- Don’t try to do everything. Don’t be afraid to say no to the many things to focus on the few things that elevate your quality of life.
- Don’t’ do clutter. Let go of the things that don’t fit into the life you desire. Say no to excess, allowing things into your life if you love it, and it makes your life better.
- Don’t dream the day away. Be disciplined, and stick to the plan. Don’t be distracted by outside influences that pull you off plan.
- Don’t over complicate things. Keep it simple and effective. Ash “how can I make this easier”? Work smarter not harder. Do what’s necessary or important and edit everything else.
- Don’t try to be perfect. Don’t try too hard to be elegant. It comes from embracing the good, bad and the ugly elements of yourself. Embrace your dark side and flaws and understand it’s what makes you unique.
- Don’t take life for granted. Start and end your day with a grateful heart. Focus on the best of life to attract the best.
Becoming elegant is an ongoing process. Ask yourself:
- Do you crave more elegance in your life?
- What action will you take to live a more elegant life this week?
I shall be spending this coming week enjoying a holiday break, visiting other places, taking in new experiences, sights and culture, eating great food in different restaurants, partaking of the elegant lifestyle of a holiday maker.